Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Time to Jet Set! Wednesday April 30th, 2008



If you are sleeping on the job or in class WAKE UP! lol I hope everyone is doing well today. Over the past couple of days I have had some really enlightning conversations with some good friends and collegues in which have been really inspiring. I have to I am truly blessed to have the friends that I have. I thank you all for being a part of my life. Life is short. Do not take people and things for granted.

One thing I feel a lot of people take for granted is this world. There is so much to this earth. It is said that we only use 6 percent of our brain. A lot people do not even travel to 6 percent of this world in their lifetime. I live in New York City (Harlem U.S.A. if you did not already know!lol) and there are people that I know that live in Harlem that have never been to downtown Manhattan. I know people that have never left the borough of Brooklyn in their lives. Some of these people are not young. They are old enough to collect social security. I find that unbelievable. It always good to get out of your immediate surroundings and see the world from a different perspective. There are so many beautiful people, places, and cultures to encounter. It can be a real life changing experience. When I was twelve, there was a trip offered by my school to go to France for a month during the summer and stay with a family out there. My mother made sure that I went on that trip. It was such an amazing trip and made such a positive impact in my life to this date.( I love you Mom! Thanks!) . By travelling you can even learn more about yourself and your own culture. Who knows? You may even meet your soulmate. I strongly urge everyone to make time in your schedule for travel. Make a list of some places to go to and make it happen. Trust me, you'll be happy that you did it.

Here is a list of some of my favorite places that I have been and also some places I plan to go to.

Harlemite's favorite places:
Costa Rica
Trinidad and Tobago (It's always great to go to your home away from home!)
Stockholm, Sweden
London, UK
Nice, France
Switzerland
Barcelona, Spain
Toronto, Canada
St. Kitt's

The Places Halremite plans to go to:
Africa
Austrailia
Japan
China
India
Thailand
Isreal
Ireland
Antartica
Greece
Russia
Brazil
Cuba

Please post some your favorite places and also some of the places that you plan to go to. Who's knows? Your post may inspire someone to go to a particular place.


Here are some funny travel tips




Here are some more tips.



That comes from another guilty pleasure movie "Eurotrip".



Harlemite's Word of the day- Cogitate (verb) to think hard (about)

Nigel cogitated for twenty minutes whether he wanted and Egg McMuffin or a Chicken Muffin sandwich for breakfast.


Quote of the Day-
" Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."- Henry David Thoreau

Rest In Peace Anita Carr and Maxmillian Finley. You both will be truly missed. My prayers go out you and your families.

7 comments:

ER said...

Great post, as always!

Our parents also stressed the importance of traveling. From marathon car trips around the US years ago with my brothers and myself, to hopping around the globe today, our parents have always brought back great stories and new friendships - both things that last forever!

While I haven't been outside of North America yet, I hope to soon - InternationalItsTheReal? Maybe!

Hope all is well, and thanks for the Elliott Wilson video link!

Eric
ItsTheReal.com

CLK 123 said...

I love traveling too.
I haven't explored the US very much though. Want to go to the 4 corners, Goblin Valley...the south west.
I loved Thailand, Costa Rica, Vieques, and Paris.
Places outside the US I want to go...
Africa, Vietnam, India, + South America

Anonymous said...

I'm from DC and my mother always would encourage me to travel and "get out of DC." It also amazes me how many people have never been out of their city nor state. I guess I had it good because my mother was a travel agent so I got to go to alot of really nice places. The best opportunity to travel is to study abroad. It was the best thing I ever did academically. Went to live in London for 4 months and it was such a great experience. My favorite trip was Dakar, Senegal. I won a trip from Levi's jeans if you can believe it. So it doesn't matter how you get there... be creative, make it work and see the world. Headed to China this fall... work requires me to travel. There is so much to see out there and black people need to do more than just go to the Bahamas and Jamaica. Thanks for reminding us that the world extends beyond our city limits.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rene,

I enjoyed your blog today!
I grew up traveling and ended up living in the US. It was 11 years ago when I left Japan! I still like it was yesterday. My parents love traveling and other cultures, and exposed me to so many different countries and cultures. Thank you, Dad and Mom!

Actually, I am visiting Peru this weekend. One of my dreams is finally coming true. I am going to Machu Picchu. It will be a life changing time for me. I am planning to go Dubai, Morrocco, Brazil, China, Vietnam, Arzentina..... List never ends.

Never stop traveling, everbody!

Sach

Anonymous said...

Hi Rene,

I enjoyed your blog today!
I grew up traveling and ended up living in the US. It was 11 years ago when I left Japan! I still feel like it was yesterday. My parents love traveling and apreciating other cultures, and they exposed me to so many different countries and cultures. Thank you, Dad and Mom!

Actually, I am visiting Peru this weekend. One of my dreams is finally coming true. I am going to Machu Picchu. It will be a life changing experience for me. I am planning to go Dubai, Morrocco, Brazil, China, Vietnam, Argentina..... List never ends.

Never stop traveling, everbody!

Sach

NYLA said...

I agree! Traveling is a major necessity for self growth, development, and culture. Everyone should be an agent of spreading culture through traveling. It's by far one of the best ways to appreciate what you have and what you don't have. My travels to Trinidad, London, etc made me who I am for certain. I also have my loving parents to thank for it.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree... one thing my mom didn't do when she was young was travel... she is so glad I've gotten the opportunities to go all of the places I've gone because she knows that I have a more worldy prespective.
places I've been and love to go back: Austrailia, Paris, London, South Africa, Argentina, Las Vegas
places I have yet to see (but will go if I have anything to say about it)
Japan, Greece, China to name a few..
God Bless everyone and R.I.P. Max
M